ECMDC Delegation Meets Representatives from Leipzig Universities
On the morning of October 24, 2017, a delegation led by Chairman Zhang Yi of ECMDC visited the European Energy Exchange and talked with representatives from the European Energy Exchange, University of Leipzig, Leipzig Business School, and Leipzig University of Applied Sciences with respect to cooperation in scientific and technical innovation between Germany and China, accompanied by Mr. Michael Schimansky, Director of the Office for Economic Development of Leipzig Municipal Government, and Ms. Gabriele Goldfuss, Director of the Office for International Cooperation of the city. Members of the delegation also included Mr. Henrich Guntermann, Senior Consultant of ECMDC and President of European Consortium for Technology Transfer (ECTT), Mr. Hermann Walschebauer, Senior Consultant of ECMDC and Executive Director of ECTT, Mr. Ingo Hanschmann, Contact Person of ECTT in Leipzig, Mr. Zhang Lianfeng, Chief Representative of Shandong's Economic and Trade Office in German, and Mr. Qin Nan, Representative of Shandong.
Work coordination meeting
Mr. Dennis Born, Head Strategy Director of the European Energy Exchange, introduced the exchange to the guests in detail. The European Energy Exchange, incorporated in Leipzig, Germany in 2002, is a leading energy trading platform in European and is highly recognized in the electric power, natural gas and carbon emissions trading markets. For carbon emissions trading, the exchange’s main offerings include EU emissions quota, international spot and futures carbon credits, and other derivatives.
Mr. Dennis Born introduces the European Energy Exchange
Mr. Dirk Wilken, Director of Technology Transfer Center of University of Leipzig, and Mr. Thomas Bruckner, Director of the Research Institute for Infrastructure Development and Resource Management of the university introduced the fields that the university expected to work on with the Chinese friends. University of Leipzig, founded in 1409, is one of the oldest universities in Europe, with world wide fame. University of Leipzig has established a Confucius Institute together with Renmin University of China. Mr. Thomas Rotting, German Executive President of the Confucius Institute also introduced the institute’s evolution.
Mr. Thomas Rotting introduced Leipzig Confucius Institute
Mr. Stephan Stubner, Dean of HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management, introduced the school to the guests. HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management, founded in 1898, is the oldest business school in the German-speaking world, and was the first private business school given the status of university in Germany. The school is accredited AACSB in April 2004, as Germany's first by AACSB certification of the German private business school.
Markus Krabbes, Leipzig University of Applied Sciences, introduced the university to the guests. Leipzig University of Applied Sciences is a famous public university in Germany, and its history can be traced back to nineteenth Century. It was created by merging several institutions in 1992.
Mr. Markus Krabbes introduces Leipzig University of Applied Sciences
At the work meeting, Chairman Zhang Yi pointed out that Leipzig has not only strong scientific research capabilities, but also a complete education system, which would are beneficial for Chinese enterprises to have operations and grow in the city. After staying in the city for two days, ECMDC has gained direct and clear understanding of the city’s history, present conditions and prospect, and is confident to promote win-win cooperation between Leipzig and Chinese cities in the fields of scientific and technical innovation, cultural exchange and economic cooperation. ECMDC is to develop practical programs, and work with the Leipzig municipal government on implementation of specific projects, and then build a model of cooperation in urban development under the "The Belt and Road" initiative. President Zhang Yi's speech was applauded by the friends from Leipzig.
After the work meeting, the delegation also visited the site of for natural restoration of an abandoned mine in Leipzig.